What is Integrative Medicine?
The goal of integrative medicine is to restore a person to full and optimal health by understanding all the physical, emotional, mental, social, spiritual and environmental factors that influence that person’s overall health and wellbeing. By making the care more suited to each individual, integrative medicine goes beyond just treating symptoms and instead treats an illness in its entirety. By doing so, not only are the individual’s immediate health concerns alleviated, but also the long-term ones.
How Does Integrative Medicine Work?
Integrative medicine is an approach to patient care that takes into consideration all the physical, emotional, mental, social, spiritual and environmental factors that influence someone’s overall health and wellbeing. Since it’s unique to each person’s needs and circumstances, it employs the most effective strategies to help each person reach their top form in terms of health. Integrative medicine combines modern medicine with other practices to help heal both immediate biological issues as well as psychological ones. Integrative medicine can be helpful for many types of individuals, including those who have been unable to respond positively (or at all) to other treatments.
Integrative medicine isn’t the same as alternative medicine—an approach to that is used instead of more conventional practices, or complementary medicine. It offers a broader range of methods that are implemented in addition to allopathic approaches. If the proper methods are used, care can be integrative no matter which of these are used.
What Makes Integrative Medicine Different?
Innovative Health & Wellness Group uses the principles of integrative medicine:
- The patient and practitioner work together during the healing process.
- All factors that influence health, wellness and disease are taken into consideration, including aspects of the body, mind, spirit and community.
- Practitioners will use all healing sciences to help the body’s innate healing response along.
- Use the least invasive methods of intervention (if they’re deemed necessary).
- Good medicine is based in good science. It’s based on constant questioning and always open to improvement.
- Alongside the concept of treatment, the focus lies in the prevention of illnesses and diseases as well as maintaining proper health.
- This method of care is geared completely to an individual’s unique needs. Practitioners of integrative medicine put into effect its principles and commit themselves to self-development.
Facets of Ideal Health
At the core of all methods of maintaining health and wellbeing is mindfulness—the practice of paying attention to the state of your physical, mental, social, and spiritual wellbeing. This non-judgmental awareness allows people to recognize symptoms as they begin to come up, which is when the issue is easiest to treat.
Individuals are encouraged to explore the relationship between how they take care of themselves and their overall health and wellbeing. This includes relationships, physical environments, nutrition, movement and exercise, the mind-body connection, and personal growth and spirituality.
Recognizing symptoms early on in an illness is crucial to treating it quickly and easily, as is the ability to recognize when one needs professional care. Professional care may include pharmaceuticals and supplements, preventive medicine, and conventional and alternative treatments.
Why Should You Choose Integrative Medicine?
While there are many reasons why people take integrative medicine into consideration, studies show that most tend to do so since it better fits with their values, beliefs, and philosophies about health and life than the conventional approach to health and wellbeing. Innovative Health & Wellness Group believe in integrative medicine, as it offers patients the opportunity to improve their overall health with all of the healthcare options available at our clinic.
Find Your Path to Complete Wellness
Make an appointment today to get started on the ultimate treatment plan for your health.