What is an Chiropractic Adjustments?
The most common therapeutic procedure performed by chiropractors is known as chiropractic adjustments. An adjustment is a method to allow proper movement of joints. The focus of the adjustment is to remove the subluxation, which is a joint not moving correctly, by improving joint mechanics. The purpose of an adjustment is to restore joint mobility by manually applying a controlled force to joints that have become restricted in their movement.
Subluxations are minor misalignments in the spine or skull, putting endangering stress on the brain, spinal cord, and spinal nerves. However, subluxations do not stop at the spine, because trauma is not limited to the spine and extremities.
Chiropractic adjustments rarely cause discomfort. However, patients may sometimes experience mild soreness or aching following treatment (as with some forms of exercise) that usually resolves within 12 to 48 hours. In many cases, such as lower back pain, chiropractic care may be the primary method of treatment. When other medical conditions exist, chiropractic care may complement or support medical treatment by relieving the neuromusculoskeletal aspects associated with the condition.
What Conditions Can Chiropractic Adjustments Treat?
Chiropractic addresses the nervous system, which is the master control system of the body. Once the nervous system is functioning at optimal potential, the rest of the body systems will be able to function at a higher level. Therefore, a patient will notice profound improvements in their health which they had previously regarded as normal or permanent.
Chiropractic corrects spinal misalignments, or subluxations, which cause symptoms such as:
What Causes Cranial Subluxations?
The human skull is comprised of 13 bones that are joined together with sutures (puzzle like structures). Although the sutures cannot be pulled apart, the bones in the skull can be knocked out of their proper alignment, causing indentations or elevations that can be felt on the surface of the head. The onset of your health problems may be the result of an injury to the head. In fact, recent microscopic research has demonstrated that nerves from the skull and spine control the immune system right down to the cellular level.
Our staff has provided care for patients whose problems have originated from a head injury. The first head injury can occur during childbirth. As well as falls in infancy resulting in the head hitting the edge of a coffee table or if the child tumbles down the stairs. In addition, the incidence of head injuries due to baseball bats, swings, balls, pucks, fists, sports injuries, car and industrial accidents are extremely common. Unfortunately, most of these patients do not receive adequate care for these injuries and their conditions deteriorate and result in chronic debilitating health problems.
Post concussion syndrome is an excellent example of what happens when a head injury is not corrected.
The injury to the head is sufficient enough to cause temporary unconsciousness in some cases. The patient survives, but has many acute symptoms such as headaches, blurred vision, ringing in the ears, speech difficulties, memory lapses, brain fog, emotional irregularities, decreased reflexes, altered coordination, and behavior changes for years to come.
If the cranial subluxations that resulted from the head injury are not corrected, these symptoms will persist and become chronic, causing a lifetime of pain, an endless emotional roller coaster, cognitive disorders, and cognitive difficulties resulting in a sub-standard level of life and health.
Who May Benefit From Cranial Adjustments?
- Anyone who has suffered a trauma to the head should be examined for skull bone misalignments. Especially if the injured person begins to experience what may seem to be unrelated health problems after a head injury.
- Anyone who has suffered head trauma during their birth process. Instruments such as forceps, suction, and vacuum extractors are common causes of misaligned skulls. In fact, many of the patients examined at our clinic have suffered lifelong health problems because they were never aware of their birth trauma.
Rationale for Treatment
- Subluxations must be corrected for everything else to work properly. The brain and nervous system controls all the functions of the body. The brain transmits nerve impulses to the rest of the body via the nervous system. If these impulses are obstructed, the function of the corresponding organ or tissue is altered. The chief cause of interference to the nervous system is misalignments of the bones in the spine and skull. For the treatment of any condition to be completely effective, the nervous system must be functioning at its optimum.
- For example, you can feed your body the best nutrition, but if the nerve supply to the stomach has been decreased, your body’s ability to digest and metabolize the food is also decreased. If the nerve supply to the pancreas is less than normal, then sugar metabolism is altered, as well as a decrease in the amount of enzymes available to digest food. The nerve supply to the intestine could be interfered with causing a decrease in the body’s ability to absorb nutrition through the intestinal wall, and sometimes results in constipation.
2. Misalignments in the skull interfere with the nerve impulses coming from the brain or entering the brain, causing alterations in behavior, low comprehension, and memory loss. It also causes odd perceptions, weird expressions, and hyperactivity.
3. Misalignments in the skull can decrease the blood supply to and from the brain, causing inappropriate responses, slow reactions, memory lapse, and aggressive behavior.
4. Misalignment in the skull puts direct pressure on the brain, which can lead to headaches, dizziness, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), distorted vision, speech problems, hearing problems, comprehension and concentration difficulties, and hyperactivity.
5. The elevations and depressions in the skull cause stagnation of the fluid that delivers nutrition to the brain. This lack of nutrient supply will cause decreased brain function in the lobes of the brain experiencing malnutrition.
Find Your Path to Complete Wellness
Make an appointment today to get started on the ultimate treatment plan for your health.